Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Think about this before you buy your next lens

Over the past month or so, I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to a full-frame camera but will probably put that off until 2010. In the meantime however that doesn't mean that I can't browse and ask questions about my future purchase.

I went to a camera store this week to purchase a Gorillapod and started quizzing the sales rep about my future purchase. We're talking about my needs and my possible future needs and everything sounds promising then I ask can I build my lens collection in the meantime?

He asks "Well do you have any EF-S lenses?"

I say "Yeah, the stock lens with my Rebel XT."

He says "Hopefully that's your only EF-S lens because full frame cameras use EF lenses."

Now luckily I've only just recently started to invest in my equipment and haven't made any serious purchases but then I remembered that I bought a telephoto last year and all that was running through my head was that I had spent $400 on a piece of equipment I won't be able use! How am I going to justify buying a second 300mm lens when my boyfriend knows I already have one!

When the sales rep and I finish our conversation, which after the lens discussion is kind of a blur to me, I thanked him for his time, got on the next bus home, went straight upstairs, opened by lens case, and lo and behold, I read on my lens two little letters "EF".

I was relieved and oh so happy...and felt a little guilty that I hadn't did more reading up on the subject when I bought my first dSLR.

What I learned:
  • When buying your first dSLR think about your current needs and any possible changes to those needs down the road. If this is just a hobby for you now, but you'd like to upgrade to professional level equipment think about what will help you now that can help you in the future.
  • Map out those needs in a 1-year to 5-year plan including an equipment wishlist.
  • Do your own research first, talk to friends who own their own dSLRs or visit a camera trade show. Bring all that knowledge and your questions with you to the store to speak to a sales rep.
  • Whenever you're in a store, even if you're just browsing, don't be afraid to ask questions. The sales rep I spoke to knew I wasn't buying a camera right then but the time he took to talk to me that day laid the groundwork for me coming back in with more questions, and most likely an eventual camera purchase.

No comments: